Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Database growth excessive when changing varchar length from 50 to 100.

Hi all,

I'm trying to get an understanding of a serious problem I have with a large DB in production. This is going to be obvious to someone (everyone probably) <bg>

I have a table which consists of numerous varchars and ints but also a Text type field. This table resides in a SQL 2000 Database. This DB currently has a data file size of 16Gb and a Transaction Log size of 17Gb. When I edit the table and increase the size of a Varchar field from 50 to 100 these files grow to more than double their size!

Why is this happening and how can I prevent this?

TIA

NozFx

Hi all,

Ok made two huge mistakes here. One I have large text data along side other fields that when changes are made the structure changes dramatically. Secondly I have full transaction logging in which all changes are logged. Going to have to make sure I learn my lessons here. Got all the sizes down now but I needed double to do that.

NozFx

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment