Thursday, March 29, 2012

Database I/O error

I am using SQL 2000 Dev edition. I create a DB on box
1. I run a simple program that loops through all records
in a table. It works fine. (VBA Code in MS Access
accessing the SQL table via ADO if it matters.) I then
detach the database and copy the file, plus log file, to
Box 2.
I attach the database on Box 2 and run the same code to
loop through all records in the table. It fails with an
I/O error 998 (Invalid access to memory location)
detected during read at offset 0x00000b8f1e0000 in
file 'My DB File'
It does not always stop at the same point. When I check,
it shows EOF to be true - even though a counter shows I
am less than 30% of the way through the file.
Is there some form of utility to check the validity of
the DB? I ran a ShrinkDatabase on box 1. Then copied
the file to box 2 again. Same results.
Known differences:
- Hardware.
- OS. (Can that really matter?)
- Box1 = Win2003 Server.
- Box2 = Win XP Pro SP1
Both boxes are SQL 2000 Developers edition SP3.
I'm pulling my hair out on this. Any help is greatly
appreciated.
Thank you.Sounds like a hardware issue, I have seen similar problems just prior to a
hard disk crapping out. Have you run any disk checking utilities against
the problem machine? Checked the event viewer for operating system and/or
Disk errors/warnings?
--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)
"DB" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:180801c4d6fc$9cb189c0$a501280a@.phx.gbl...
> I am using SQL 2000 Dev edition. I create a DB on box
> 1. I run a simple program that loops through all records
> in a table. It works fine. (VBA Code in MS Access
> accessing the SQL table via ADO if it matters.) I then
> detach the database and copy the file, plus log file, to
> Box 2.
> I attach the database on Box 2 and run the same code to
> loop through all records in the table. It fails with an
> I/O error 998 (Invalid access to memory location)
> detected during read at offset 0x00000b8f1e0000 in
> file 'My DB File'
> It does not always stop at the same point. When I check,
> it shows EOF to be true - even though a counter shows I
> am less than 30% of the way through the file.
> Is there some form of utility to check the validity of
> the DB? I ran a ShrinkDatabase on box 1. Then copied
> the file to box 2 again. Same results.
> Known differences:
> - Hardware.
> - OS. (Can that really matter?)
> - Box1 = Win2003 Server.
> - Box2 = Win XP Pro SP1
> Both boxes are SQL 2000 Developers edition SP3.
> I'm pulling my hair out on this. Any help is greatly
> appreciated.
> Thank you.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment