Sunday, March 11, 2012

Database Diagrams - SQL Server 2005 on Vista

Hi all
I am very new to SQL Server, I am working through my SQL Server 2005 for
beginners book.
I have SQL server 2005 installed on a Win 2003 Server. I have workstation
components installed on my Vista Box.
I am trying to create a database diagram. The DB is basic with just 4
tables. When I click new database diagram I get the message
The specified module could not be found.
(MS Visual Database Tools).
When I go to Advanced information for the error under program location I get
this message
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32
errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
at
Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VirtualProject.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn
origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions,
IManagedConnection con)
at
Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn
origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions,
IManagedConnection con)
at
Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VsDocumentMenuItem.CreateDesignerWindow(IManagedConnection
mc, DocumentOptions options)
When I connect to the same DB and create a database diagram from a Windows
XP machine all works OK
Any ideas on the problem please.
Thanks in advance
--
David GriffithsWild guess:
Try running Management Studio as a "real" administrator. (I've turned off UAC, and SSMS work just
fine for me. Perhaps you can start an app as a real admin with UAC on somehow...)
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi
"David Griffiths" <dayvg69@.yahoo.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1MSdnQgixIgX2UXb4p2dnAA@.telenor.com...
> Hi all
> I am very new to SQL Server, I am working through my SQL Server 2005 for beginners book.
> I have SQL server 2005 installed on a Win 2003 Server. I have workstation components installed on
> my Vista Box.
> I am trying to create a database diagram. The DB is basic with just 4 tables. When I click new
> database diagram I get the message
> The specified module could not be found.
> (MS Visual Database Tools).
> When I go to Advanced information for the error under program location I get this message
> at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr
> errorInfo)
> at
> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VirtualProject.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn
> origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions, IManagedConnection con)
> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn
> origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions, IManagedConnection con)
> at
> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VsDocumentMenuItem.CreateDesignerWindow(IManagedConnection
> mc, DocumentOptions options)
> When I connect to the same DB and create a database diagram from a Windows XP machine all works OK
> Any ideas on the problem please.
> Thanks in advance
> --
> David Griffiths
>|||Hi
I went the Uninstall SQL 2005 and VS 2005, cleaned up restarted
re-installed.... now it works, that was about 4 hours of work.
Thanks for your reply.
"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi@.hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
message news:ADFDF17F-E751-4956-9C9B-EBECF7701BD5@.microsoft.com...
> Wild guess:
> Try running Management Studio as a "real" administrator. (I've turned off
> UAC, and SSMS work just fine for me. Perhaps you can start an app as a
> real admin with UAC on somehow...)
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
> http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi
>
> "David Griffiths" <dayvg69@.yahoo.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:1MSdnQgixIgX2UXb4p2dnAA@.telenor.com...
>> Hi all
>> I am very new to SQL Server, I am working through my SQL Server 2005 for
>> beginners book.
>> I have SQL server 2005 installed on a Win 2003 Server. I have workstation
>> components installed on my Vista Box.
>> I am trying to create a database diagram. The DB is basic with just 4
>> tables. When I click new database diagram I get the message
>> The specified module could not be found.
>> (MS Visual Database Tools).
>> When I go to Advanced information for the error under program location I
>> get this message
>> at
>> System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32
>> errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
>> at
>> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VirtualProject.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn
>> origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions,
>> IManagedConnection con)
>> at
>> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ISqlVirtualProject.CreateDesigner(Urn
>> origUrn, DocumentType editorType, DocumentOptions aeOptions,
>> IManagedConnection con)
>> at
>> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.VsDocumentMenuItem.CreateDesignerWindow(IManagedConnection
>> mc, DocumentOptions options)
>> When I connect to the same DB and create a database diagram from a
>> Windows XP machine all works OK
>> Any ideas on the problem please.
>> Thanks in advance
>> --
>> David Griffiths
>>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment