Saturday, February 25, 2012

Database design question

I’m relatively new at database design so forgive me if I’ve overlooked
something stupid.
I’m designing a teacher grading application on the new SQL 2005 Express.
Right now I’ve got a Student table that lists info on each student. I the
n
have a Grades table that lists grades for each assignment that is linked to
an assignment table. The grades table and the student table are linked with
a relationship. I’d like to create a view that lists the student name wit
h
each corresponding grade for each assignment in a new column. When do a
simple select statement I get a row for each grade, I just want one row for
each student with a assignment grade in separate columns. Is this possible?It can be done on the server (in T-SQL, even) but it *really should* be done
in the presentation layer.
Read more here:
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article...5608/15608.html
Data seems more user-friendly using this technique, however, an important
informational value is lost this way - the relationship. So, I'd suggest
using this technique for presentation purposes only, better yet - let the
presentation engine take care of it.
ML

No comments:

Post a Comment